Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Just an update

I haven't posted anything for a while, so I thought that I would update everyone on what's going on in my neck of the woods. It seems that Nunu and me caught the same sinus bug. I wish that we could have killed it instead of catching it. Both of us are on medication and seem to slowly be getting better. I know that the people around me have been a little happier because I have lost most of my voice. :)
Last week I pulled a few 3rd shifters so that I could do some things during the daytime and so that I could have Friday off. My mom came over Friday afternoon so that we could take the wallpaper in my kitchen down. Now the wallpaper that was in my kitchen had to come from the 70s and Mom found me some that was alot more modern and not so yellow and orange. Well, as we are taking down the wallpaper, which has been up since before we bought the house, we were a little weary of what we would find behind it. For the original part of this house was built in the 1950s. All of it seemed to come down okay, and all we found around the counter was that they had use contact paper for wallpaper at some point before the wallpaper. Then came time to move the refrigerator, which has not been moved since we moved in. We took down the wallpaper and there was a hole in the bottom part of the wall, and the middle of the wall seemed wet looking. Well coming out of the hole looked like a pile of dirt, so the first thing I do is call Eric to let him know that we are going to have to repair a wall. Now to make a long story short, it wasn't dirt falling out of the hole. The wood in behind the sheetrock had rotted and was falling down. I took some pictures which I will post before and after pics when we are done. The wood had rotted all the way to the outside siding. There wasn't any insulation or anything. So now we have repaired the inside part of the wall, and just need to finish the new wallpaper and then when the weather clears we will be remodeling the outside of the house so we can insulate and definitely replace the wood in that particular wall. I am just glad we found it when we did or one day we would have came home and walked into a kitchen that had the ceiling caved in and the wall on top of the refrigerator.
I will post more when we get the inside wall completely done.

1 comment:

DeAnna said...

Oh my -- sounds like things have been "interesting" around your house. Right now, my girls have colds, Mom just got over some sinus thing and Dad is getting over pnemonia and bronchitis. Its been pretty nasty this year I guess. You're right its a good thing you found the wall when you did!! Although its never fun to have to deal with something like that. And speaking of 70s, when we bought our house the kitchen cupboards were dark brown and the flooring was orange and brown funky designs. It was horrid!!